FAQ’s for Weekly Summary of Hours of Experience &
MFT Experience Verification Form
When completing these forms, be sure to complete all necessary fields. The Weekly Summary of Hours of Experience and the MFT Experience Verification form are the two forms used to document supervised work experience requirements.
1. How do I log/get credit for the conjoint couples and family incentive hours?
When completing the Weekly Summary of Hours of Experience form and the MFT Experience Verification form, you will document the total couples, families and children hours gained on or after 1/1/2010 on the form item titled “Couples, families, and children.” In the subsection below, record the amount of actual conjoint couples and families hours. This subsection is only for recording purposes and will not affect your supervision requirements or increase your weekly totals. Please only document actual hours. Do not double count the hours on your forms. Once your application is received by the Board, those hours will be evaluated, and up to the first 150 hours of conjoint couples and family hours will be double counted to a maximum of 300 hours.
For example: If Allison completed 10 couples, families and children hours, and 6 of those hours were conjoint couples and family, Allison would record 10 hours in the couples, families and children category and 6 hours below in the conjoint couples and family subsection.
2. If I have already gained conjoint couples and family hours before 1/1/2010, can I count those prior hours towards the incentive?
No. Only the first 150 hours of conjoint couples and family hours gained on or after 1/1/2010 will be double counted.
3. How do I know when to stop using the old forms and start using the new forms?
For any hours gained on or after 1/1/2010 the Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) encourages all Trainees and Interns to start using the new Weekly Summary of Hours of Experience form and MFT Experience Verification form. Any hours gained prior to 1/1/2010 should be documented on the previous versions of the forms. The current version and prior version of the Weekly Summary of Hours of Experience and the MFT Experience Verification are available on the “Forms and Publications” section of the BBS Web site
4. Can I combine pre-degree and post-degree work experience on the same form?
The BBS advises separating pre- and post-degree experience on separate Weekly Summary of Hours of Experience and MFT Experience Verification forms. As long as your application for Intern registration is submitted within 90 days of your degree conferral date, you may count experience gained during this time and log these as post- degree hours. If you do not submit your application within 90 days, you will not be able to count hours until your Intern registration number is issued.
5. Now that W-2s or a letter verifying volunteer status are required for MFT Interns, do I have to locate all past employers when I was employed before 1/1/2010 to get documentation?
No. Only Interns must submit a W-2 or letter from the employer verifying voluntary status for hours gained on or after 1/1/2010. This is not required for any hours gained before this date or for Trainees.
6. How do I fill out the forms if I have more than one supervisor in the same work setting?
If you are receiving supervision from two individuals in an employment setting, you can document this on separate forms. As long as the time periods on the two forms overlap and the employment setting is the same, the BBS will lump the experience and supervision together upon evaluation of the forms.
7. As a Trainee, can I count administering and evaluating psychological tests of counselees, writing clinical reports and progress and process notes?
Yes. Starting 1/1/2010 Trainees can now count these hours up to the maximum of 250 hours. Any hours gained as a Trainee in this category prior to 1/1/2010 will not be able to count.