What are the supervision requirements for hours logged outside of the state of California (California MFT)

This entry was posted in Licensure FAQs (California MFT) on by .

In order to claim experience hours logged in another state toward MFT licensure in California the following supervision requirements must be met:

“Experience gained outside of California on or after January 1, 1991 must have been supervised in accordance with the following criteria:

  • At the time of supervision, the supervisor was licensed or certified by the state in which the supervision occurred and possessed a current license which was not under suspension or probation.
  • The supervisor was licensed or certified by that state, for at least two (2) years prior to acting as supervisor, as either a psychologist, clinical social worker, physician certified in psychiatry as specified in Section 4980.40(f) of the code, or a marriage and family therapist or similarly titled marriage and family practitioner.
  • In a state which does not license or certify marriage and family therapists or similarly titled marriage and family practitioners, experience may be obtained under the supervision of a person who at the time of supervision held a clinical membership in the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists for at least two years and who maintained such membership throughout the period of supervision.” [Section 1833.2 of Division 18, Title 16, of the California Code of Regulations.]

Start your free, 30-day trial today.

Get world-class support on your journey to licensure.

Start My Free Trial